If turning your garage into a game room or an office is something that has been on your mind for a while, this guide will help you get started. While garage conversions can be fun and help create a new living space, they can also be complex. It is crucial to know about the steps involved in a garage conversion so you can convert your space into a functional game room or office.
1. Learn About Your Local Laws
There are various legalities involved in converting your garage into a living space (whether you’re planning to convert it into a game room or an office).
It is important to get familiarized with your local laws and consult a professional if necessary. The legalities involved in any conversion project can make or break a project because a conversion depends on whether it is legal to convert a garage into a living space.
2. Create A Financial Plan
Once you have permission from local authorities to turn your garage into a living space, you need to start creating a financial plan. Converting your garage can cost you an average of $15,000, with the price being slightly lower or higher depending on the conversion type and project scope.
Factors that Influence the Conversion Price
– Garage Size and Type: Most homeowners have a single-car garage that they plan to convert. While there isn’t a huge price difference with an increase in the size, it does affect the total cost of the conversion.
– Project Scope: Converting your garage into a game room would require spending on games such as a pool table, pinball machines, video games, or a foosball table – depending on your wants. On the other hand, an office would require more furniture, new flooring, and any other add-ons you prefer. Ultimately, the conversion cost depends on how much you decide to spend on a new living space.
– Location: Garage conversions in areas of Texas, including Pearland, Friendswood, Clear Lake, Webster, Pasadena, and Sugarland, cost fairly less than in other states.
– Permit: Obtaining a permit to start a new construction can cost between $1,000 and $1,500.
– Installations: Windows, doors, and insulation can add significant value to the garage conversion. It is vital to choose affordable remodeling contractors with experience, so you can install durable and stylish windows, doors, and insulation without breaking the bank.
3. Hide Functional Areas
A garage is the centre of many functional areas, such as the HVAC systems and laundry. You can either relocate these functions elsewhere or hide them in the garage by building closets or interior walls.
5. Widen the Access Door
Consider installing a wider door to improve access to the garage. This makes it easy for your family to enter and leave the new living space!
6. Improve the Home Exterior
With an additional door visible from your home’s exterior, you need to improve your exterior’s appearance to blend the door with the existing house fascia.
7. Create Driveway Separation
Most people remove the garage door after a conversion. In this case, you should also create a driveway separation, so it doesn’t lead to the garage door anymore.
Working with professional garage conversion contractors can reduce the significant amount of burden that comes with the project. At MDH Remodeling, we have three goals – Communication, Care, and Completion. We stick to these 3 Cs in every project we take up, setting you up for flawless execution.
We understand our customers’ preferences and communicate all details clearly, so you do not have to stress about anything. Once we have understood your preferences, we complete each step of the project with care, ensuring a beautiful garage that fulfils all your expectations!